Monday, December 29, 2014

Amy Krouse Rosenthal- and FREEBIES!

In the New Year, I start to do more author studies with my class.  The children feel so smart when they can look at our next book and say, "I know that's Eric Carle because of the pictures!" or "That looks like a book by Donald Crews!"

One of my all time favorite authors is Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  I just love all of her books.  She is such a clever writer, and makes books fun to read for children, but for the adults too.   That doesn't always happen.  

Here are some of my favorites by Amy (I'm just calling her Amy because I feel like she's my friend by now...)
The OK Book is by  Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld.

It's perfect, perfect, perfect for your perfectionists who are afraid to try something and not be just perfect at it.  It's OK to be OK! Not perfect.  (Note to self- remember that...)
Here are some of the sweet pages so you can see what I mean, if you haven't seen the book yet:








She has a book trailer on Youtube that's just great!

                     


Together, we  do a little guided drawing activity to make our "OK" person like in the story, so they can each add their special twist on what they are ok at to the picture.  Then, we make an OK Class Book.  I love making class books.  They are always favorites for independent reading time.

The OK Book reminds me a little of Ish and The Dot by Peter Reynolds. These books are just so important for children to hear so they are brave enough to try new things and know they will make mistakes, but WHO CARES! That's how you grow.   Hey, NEW YEAR- get ready for some good mistakes!  It means we are learning!  





My new favorite quote comes from the legendary lover, adventurer, writer and librarian named Giacomo Girolamo Casanova de Seingalt better known simply as Casanova: “One who makes no mistakes makes nothing at all.” 
A big chunk of success in this world comes down to resiliency. Let them laugh and nay say from the sidelines. Get back up and try a different approach. Just never stop trying. Start. Stumble. Facepalm. Learn. Grow. Experiment. Fail. Continue. Adapt. Fail. Retry. Innovate. Succeed. Win. Repeat.
Casanova’s quote inspired the latest #makeithappen poster. Download a copy for your wall and get to work. We have important things to accomplish.
Bonus: A good tune to listen to whenever you have ass to kick. Ali in the Jungle
Another favorite is Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg, because this one shows that even those mistakes can be masterpieces!


Back to  Amy Krouse Rosenthal- Her books are better than OK- they're perfect for children.

This book is my favorite book to use for Writer's Workshop to focus on punctuation marks. It uses the punctuation marks so the kids GET it. I posted about this book HERE.

Cookies is the sweetest life lessons/character education book- just precious.  What a great gift this would be for someone with a plate of cookies. I posted about this book HERE.
 
Everybody can relate to One of Those Days. It's a great conversation starter, and great for Writer's Workshop ideas. 
                                             
I posted about Yes Day HERE. This is another PERFECT one for discussions, dreams, and writing ideas.
                                            
Fortunately/Unfortunately, I also found some other books that I actually DON'T have - but may NEED to have- because I can just tell they're what I will love. 
                                          
Little Pea, Little Hoot, and Little Oink are all so much fun! They are online at Tumblebooks if you have that.  Our school has a subscription to it and I use it all the time. It's great for the iPad for a center.  We watched these books on Tumblebooks on the Smart board, and then compared and contrasted the books, as well as compared and contrasted  one book to our lives.  The kids get a big kick out of these books because the characters in the book are the opposite of what the children are like, for example, Little Pea only likes vegetables and has to be made to eat candy; Little Hoot never wants to stay up late; Little Oink is way too neat, and doesn't like to make a mess.)

 This is going to be a class gift before Valentine's Day.
I made a packet of writing prompts to go with each of my favorite authors.  This week my Writing Prompts Featuring Books by Amy Krouse Rosenthal is FREE!  It  includes two cover pages (one color/one black and white), a list of books included in the packet, an author biography page, and 14 writing prompts that you can use with any book. This packet includes 23 more writing prompts, specifically written for 17 books by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  We don't use all the prompts for our author study, but I choose several to use for our author study, and then I use others throughout the year.   Happy New Year!  I hope you enjoy it.





I put together prompts for eight of my favorite authors in my  Author Study Writing Prompts PacketThis packet includes 160 writing prompts to go with 100 different books, featuring works by Eric Carle, Donald Crews, Kevin Henkes, Laura Numeroff, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, David Shannon, Mo Willems, and Karma Wilson. 

Each Author Study Packet includes two cover pages (one color/one black and white), a list of books which are included in the packet, an author biography page, and 14 writing prompts that you can use with any book, as well as the prompts specifically written for the books by the featured author. 





These authors are also featured on my Author Prezi which is available at my TPT store. I use both resources together for my Author Studies Units.  My Author Prezi has all of my online resources together in one place for our studies for 13 authors: Jan Brett, Norman Bridwell, Eric Carle, Donald Crews, Theodor Geisel, Robert Munsch, Laura Numeroff, Kevin Henkes, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, David Shannon, Shel Silverstein, Mo Willems, Karma Wilson.



Here is a free sample of the Author Prezi which features Amy Krouse Rosenthal that you can use with your author study! Have fun!

Sorry if you found some new books to buy.  I hope you found some fun new books and ideas!

Thank you for stopping by!   


4 comments:

  1. This post made me want to run out and buy them all! And thank you so much for the wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get these books.....especially the OK one..... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, Carolyn! I didn't realize how many of the books I love are by Amy Krouse Roesenthal!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Loading...