Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Why Are We Having a Lockdown Drill?

Unfortunately, lockdown drills are reality most of us face at our schools.  I just finished a simple book called,  Why Are We Having a Lockdown Drill? , that will hopefully help to explain the "why" behind the drill in a gentle, positive way.

I know each school has its own rules and procedures, so this book doesn't go into that, but instead focuses on two important rules that we all need our students to follow:  1. Being great listeners and 2. Being still and silent. This book is a good introduction that teachers can expand on with their own
rules, expectations, and procedures after reading.

I wanted the book to be easy to understand, and to let the children know that a lockdown drill is just another way grown-ups are trying to keep everyone safe. I hope you find it useful and that you have a wonderful, safe, happy school year!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I have never figured out the right words to say, so this is very helpful! Lockdown drills always make me cry (and I am talking about the practice ones) because I so want to protect my kinders and let them stay innocent and yet they need to know how to stay safe. So from the bottom of my heart: thank you! Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille, thank you for writing! You are so welcome. I'm glad you can use this! :)

      Delete
  2. Carolyn, this is one of the toughest and most heartbreaking things we have to teach to our kinders. Last year it was all I could do to keep from crying as we sat in the dark and their little light up shoes were blinking. It's so sad to take away some of their innocence, but necessary to keep them safe. On the lighter side, we had a lockdown last year because there was a bear sitting on our library stairs!! I teach in the mountains, obviously! Many hugs to you for your thoughtful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! Oh my gosh- a bear on the stairs! That sounds like it should be in a Dr. Seuss book! <3

      Delete
  3. When was this book published

    Why are we having a lockdown drill

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog