Friday, November 27, 2015

Five for Friday November 27



I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Thank you for hosting, Kacey! These five are just quick snippets from the week.  We only had one and a half days of school, then parent conferences.  My Thanksgiving at my sister and brother-in-law's house was just perfect.  I'm so lucky and thankful that we live so close to all of my family so we can get together and eat and play games and laugh!

We had a little snow at school on Monday.  Snow trumps everything planned.  I was afraid my entire five for this week just might be this picture. They didn't want to leave that window.



Here we go with my Five for Friday!
 

 
I put up our sight word fireplace in housekeeping this week- with our class picture on the mantle. 
You can't believe the number of times someone goes back and just reads those words.  And every time, I just smile and think, "YAY!"
Speaking of fireplaces,  here are some fun ways to make your classroom a little more cozy this winter.  I used them last year, and the kids just loved it.  Lots of the children don't have fireplaces at home, and it was such a neat way to feel like we were doing our work in a family room by the fireplace.  I usually had the fire burning during writing and free choice.  It was quiet and calm, and the kids will tell you it was so much warmer in the room!  That's another reason why I love them!

This fire you can use all winter long.

This one is more Christmasy!
           

Some great classics!
            
0:00 Marshmallow World 2:53 The First Noel 5:24 O Come All Ye Faithful 8:33 Happy Holidays 11:12 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 13:28 Good King Wenceslas 16:06 Silver Bells 19:10 Away in a Manger 20:13 Faith of Our Fathers – Bing Crosby 23:08 Deck the Halls 24:14 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Rosemary Clooney 26:38 Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire – Rosemary Clooney 29:56 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Rosemary Clooney 34:03 It Came Upon a Midnight Clear – Rosemary Clooney 36:46 Little Drummer Boy – Rosemary Clooney 39:15 Jingle Bells – Rosemary Clooney 41:54 I’m Dreaming of a White of White Christmas—Rosemary Clooney 44:48 Suzy Snowflake – Rosemary Clooney 47:27 Count Your Blessings – Rosemary Clooney 50:57 Silent Night – Rosemary Clooney 53:53 Holy God, We Praise Thy Name – Perry Como 59:33 T’was the Night Before Christmas – Frank Sinatra 1:03:20 Ave Maria – Perry Como 1:07:58 I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Frank Sinatra 1:10:52 Home for the Holidays – Perry Como 1:13:42 Oh Come, All Ye Faithful – Perry Como 1:16:29 The Twelve Days of Christmas (traditional) – Perry Como 1:20:30 That Christmas Feelin’ – Perry Como 1:23:43 Winter Wonderland – Bing Crosby 1:26:14 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra 1:30:11 Christmas Song (gets cut off early) – Frank Sinatra 1:31:44 The Twelve Days of Christmas (modified) – Frank Sinatra 1:36:15 The Bells of Christmas (Greensleeves) – Frank Sinatra 1:39:57 I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm – Frank Sinatra 1:42:51 The Christmas Waltz – Frank Sinatra 1:46:03 Santa Claus is Coming to Town– Frank Sinatra 1:47:46 We Wish You the Merriest – Frank Sinatra 1:50:03 Go Tell it On the Mountain (cut off early) – Frank Sinatra 1:53:03 The Christmas Song – Frank Sinatra 1:54:44 I heard the Bells on Christmas Day – Frank Sinatra 1:57:24 I Wouldn’t Trade Christmas – Frank Sinatra 2:00:18 Old Fashioned Christmas – Frank Sinatra 2:04:05 A Baby Just Like You (cut off early) – Frank Sinatra 2:06:19 Whatever Happened to Christmas – Frank Sinatra 2:09:24 I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas – Frank Sinatra 2:11:37 Silent Night 2:15:08 Little Drummer Boy – Perry Como
     
0:00 - 3:00 : White Christmas~Bing Crosby
3:02 - 7:00 : All I Want For Christmas Is You~Mariah Carey
7:06 - 9:54 : Baby It's Cold Outside~Margaret Whiting & Johnny Mercer
9:58 - 12:58 : Here Comes Santa Claus~Bing Crosby & The Andrew Sisters
13:02 - 17:25 : Last Christmas~Wham!
17:28 - 19:21 : Let It Snow~Dean Martin
19:32 - 21:54 : Winter Wonderland~Bing Crosby
22:00 - 24:41 : Run Run Rudolph~Chuck Berry
24:49 - 28:46 : Shake Up Christmas~Train
28:50 - 32:13 : Santa Baby~Eartha Kitt
32:21 - 34:29 : Jingle Bell Rock~Bobby Helms
34:37 - 36:39 : Rockin Around The Christmas Tree~Brenda Lee
36:46 - 38:58 : It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas~Johnny Mathis
39:04 - 41:05 : Let It Snow~Michael Buble
41:09 - 43:21 : Holly Jolly Christmas~Burl Ives
43:22 - 46:57 : White Christmas~Michael Buble
46:59 - 49:31 : Joy To The World~Boney M
49:34 - 52:54 : Sleigh Ride~Amy Grant
52:59 - 55:55 : Silver Bells~Bing Crosby & Carol Richards
56:13 - 58:43 : Jingle Bells~Dean Martin
58:43 - 1:00:02 : Hark The Herald~Carol Concert

My kids LOVED the songs in this one!  Yes, we tried lots of fires...
             

 
I saw some cute penguin shapes at Classroom Freebies, which gave me an idea for our bulletin boards this winter.  Instead of  only 2D shapes, I made both 2D and 3D shaped penguins.  I used a cube box, toilet paper rolls for cylinders,  cone cups from the water cooler, and a big black pompom for the sphere. I spray painted all of those black.



Here is a closer look at the shapes- along with the GORGEOUS snowflakes that my brother-in-law made!)


 



It's time for our winter labeling activity/reminder for those warm clothes!  Brrrr.  I usually take a picture of our anchor chart when we finish labeling it and add it to my weekly newsletter as another reminder for parents. 



And finally... I've figured out what I've been doing wrong all this time.  I went to check for lunch money in this little sweetie's backpack and found this magic wand.  She never takes it out or anything- just keeps it in there "just in case."   That's what I've been  missing!  


Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a magical weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I really love the fireplace sight words and the idea of using fireplace videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing! I love hearing them read those words! I feel like I've won... :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! I might have to try the fireplace and music in my room too! Thanks for sharing =)
    Kim
    http://domikiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly! Since we spend so much time in our classrooms, it may as well feel as much like home as possible- for us and for the kids! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your decorations....so cozy! Your bulletin boards are adorable....you know how Ray loves to make snowflakes, so if you ever need more....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the hit of the school every single year! I try to be so careful with them, but I'm afraid some won't make it another year... so... I'll have to get Ray something nice. :) THANK YOU!

      Delete

Search This Blog