Sunday, December 8, 2013

Holiday Playdough and Candycane Fun!

 
 
I just finished making my playdough for the next couple of weeks.  Here is what I came up with:
 
 
My new favorite recipe for playdough is this one using Bisquick:

Bisquick Playdough
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup salt
2 cups water
1 Tbsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp oil
 
Mix all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for 3 minutes.  Scrape and stir the bowl. Microwave for another 3 minutes. If it is not quite ready,  microwave for another minute.
(I made a double batch and put it back in my microwave for one more minute, which worked perfectly.) 
 
I like this playdough because it really lasts well.   A double batch actually made 6 of these sized balls- but I was experimenting with Christmas ideas and ruined one...  I had these big, shiny confetti shapes like these that I thought would be fun: 
NOT. 
They didn't mix in and were too much. Lesson learned and only five playdough balls left. 
 
So I decided to go with Snowball (white with colored glitter), Christmas Tree (green coloring with cut up red and green tinsel pieces and some little gold stars),  Cocoa (all I did was add LOTS of cocoa powder, and it smells awesome!), Gingerbread (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg ), and Candy Cane (red coloring and mint extract). 
 
I was thinking I could make Peppermint Patty playdough and have the brown cocoa playdough and some white with mint extract.  Yum. 
 
I also looked for some pine scented essential oil in the store this morning, but they didn't have any. I was thinking that may work well in the Christmas Tree playdough.  I COULD tell you that I put it in there, couldn't I?  I forgot that you can't smell through the computer.  Well, I am honest- and I didn't put it in. The ones that smell don't have any "extras."  The ones that don't smell, have some bling in them.    It will be fun for the kids!
 
Here are some cute Christmas Tree Playdough Mats from Jennifer Brown's TPT store. My kids would love rolling out the bulbs for the Christmas trees.
Christmas Tree PlayDoh MatChristmas Tree PlayDoh MatChristmas Tree PlayDoh Mat
She also shared some wonderful Snowman Playdough Mats! Thank you, Jennifer!

Snowman Play Doh Mats Snowman Play Doh Mats Snowman Play Doh Mats
 Here are some other cute Winter Wonderland Mats from OkinawanGirl's TPT store.
FREEBIE!  Winter Wonderland Playdough MatsFREEBIE!  Winter Wonderland Playdough MatsFREEBIE!  Winter Wonderland Playdough MatsFREEBIE!  Winter Wonderland Playdough Mats
 
 

 20 Playdough Mats for Themes September through December20 Playdough Mats for Themes September through December20 Playdough Mats for Themes September through December20 Playdough Mats for Themes September through December
Back to the topic of mint extract, I made some candy cane activities last week. 

Jenny Spencer at Ignite Learning posted this idea on Pre-K and K Sharing.  I loved it and tried it right away.  It was so easy and a HUGE hit!  I cut simple candy cane shapes from plain white paper, added mint extract to the red paint and popped in two marbles. The room smelled wonderful, and the kids had so much fun.
 

 
 
For this candy cane activity, I cut lots of large, medium, and small red and white circles. I had each size on its own table.  The kids could make whichever sizes they wanted.  This was a lot of fun for them because they made these all on their own and had choices.  My camera battery had died at this point...so here are my samples.  :(   I didn't even make them write sight words or anything on them- nope! JUST for fun. 
 
 
This simple little paper is fun for a whole class writing activity, or to send home for extra practice.  Just click on the top picture if you would like a copy of this worksheet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4BuVZdT_UxTHJrdDBiakdTWTg/edit?usp=sharing

 
 Learning with Mrs. Leeby shared a great  Candy Cane Investigation activity at her TPT store that I can't wait to use this week.
Candy Cane InvestigationCandy Cane InvestigationCandy Cane InvestigationCandy Cane Investigation
 
Have a wonderful week!  Thank you for stopping by!
 
Christmas candy cane graphics
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog