Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to School Writing Idea

I just found another classroom book, which reminded me of a fun back to school writing activity I thought I would share.

After President Obama was elected, a little boy in the class across the hall brought in a life size cut out of the President.  It was unnerving exciting to see President Obama pop up in our school all day long, as you can imagine.  I borrowed him for a few minutes to take some pictures with my class.  'The President' was so gracious- even though nobody acknowledged his personal space, and he was innocently groped quite a bit- anyway- once I had the pictures. I decided we would write a book of questions to send to him. We wrote a letter at the beginning of the book from our class. My class was most excited to learn that HE lived on Pennsylvania Avenue and our school was on Pennsylvania Avenue-(only a few short states away! :) 

 The children each told me what question they would like to ask the President.  They each signed their name on the bottom ( but I cropped them out of these pictures.)  Here are some of the questions:














This question is very telling for this little sweetheart...  He just "wondered..."




Sometimes they forgot and thought he was Santa.
Or maybe God?! 
We got a letter and a picture back from The White House in late May.
(again- my picture would not come out right- sorry it's so bright or something...)


The class was very excited! It took quite a while for a response. If you want to write to someone, it is probably best to do it early in the school year to give lots of time for the response. 

I always want to try writing to Disney characters. What a FUN idea!

This is from Couponing To Disney:

Did you know that you can write a letter to a Disney character and get a postcard in return? There are 2 addresses that you can send your letters to.

Disney World will send you an autographed postcard when you write a letter to the following address:

Walt Disney World Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040


Disneyland will send you an autographed postcard when you write a letter to the following address:

Walt Disney Company
Attn: Fan Mail Department
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
The picture will arrive with 4-6 weeks.
Each child may write his/her own letter and will receive a postcard.

I think this took me back to my TV Star Photo Collecting days.  I had SO much fun checking the mailbox each day to see if anyone wrote back. In "those days" I received signed 8x10 photos- and lots of personal letters.  It is a great way to work on letter writing- with a reward at the end.  The anticipation every day was a reward for me! :)

Have fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog